Rabbit Medicine and Surgery for Veterinary Nurses incorporates everything you need to know about caring for rabbits in a highly accessible style. It is the first book devoted to the care of both sick and healthy rabbits from a nursing perspective.
This exciting book contains all of the most crucial information about rabbits, including a brief natural history and chapters on nutrition, behaviour and medical and surgical nursing. It examines key areas in detail and explores emerging concepts.
Recent trends show that rabbits are fast becoming one of the most popular mammalian pets. The role of nursing has also evolved in recent years. Veterinary nurses now have more involvement and responsibility for the care of their patients. This book reflects these new developments in both its approach and contents.
? Written by two experts in the field with a wealth of experience of treating rabbits, as well as educating veterinary nurses.
? Includes innovative chapters on rabbit clinics, owner education and evidence-based veterinary medicine.
? Contains a section with rich colour illustrations.
Bridging the gap between human physical therapy and veterinary medicine, Canine Rehabilitation and Physical Therapy, 2nd Edition provides vets, veterinary students, and human physical therapists with traditional and alternative physical therapy methods to effectively evaluate and treat dogs with various debilitating conditions. Coverage includes treatment protocols for many types of cutaneous, neurologic, and musculoskeletal injuries to facilitate a faster and more complete recovery.
- Invaluable protocols for conservative and postoperative treatment ensure the successful healing of dogs and their return to full mobility.
- Printable medical record forms on the companion website, including client information worksheets, referral forms, orthopedic evaluation forms, and more, can be customized for your veterinary practice.
- Six completely updated chapters on exercising dogs define the basic principles of aquatic and land-based exercise and how they may be applied to dogs, as well as how physical therapy professionals can adapt common "human" exercises to dogs.
- Numerous chapters on therapeutic modalities, including therapeutic lasers, illustrate how physical therapy professionals can adapt common "human" modalities to dogs.
- Physical examination chapters offer comprehensive information on orthopedics, neurology, and rehabilitation.
- NEW! Companion website with 40 narrated video clips of modalities and exercises used by physical therapists demonstrates effective ways to treat various neurologic and musculoskeletal problems in dogs.
- NEW! Fourteen new chapters describe the latest advances in the areas of joint mobilization, rehabilitation of the athletic patient, biomechanics of rehabilitation, therapeutic lasers, and physical therapy for wound care.
Written by authors with many years of practical experience in avian medicine this book aims to give an overview of the most important diseases in falcons and birds of prey. Chapters cover haematology, viral diseases, bacterial diseases, fungal diseases, parasitic diseases and other miscellaneous diseases. Clinical symptoms are described as well as pathological and histological findings. A separate chapter deals with the history of falconry in the Middle East and the ongoing protection of the species. The book is fully illustrated containing around 380 photos, and is of interest to practising veterinarians specialising in avian medicine as well as veterinary students, and for professionals working with falcons, researchers, zoologists and biologists. Published by Schluetersche, Germany and distributed by Manson Publishing.
A concise guide to the care of small mammals, Ferrets, Rabbits, and Rodents: Clinical Medicine and Surgery covers the conditions seen most often in veterinary practice. The book emphasizes preventive medicine along with topics including disease management, ophthalmology, dentistry, and zoonosis. More than 400 illustrations demonstrate key concepts related to radiographic interpretation, relevant anatomy, and diagnostic, surgical, and therapeutic techniques. Now in full color, this edition adds coverage of more surgical procedures and expands coverage of zoonotic disease. From editors Katherine Quesenberry and James W. Carpenter, along with a team of expert contributors, the "Pink Book" provides an authoritative, single source of information that is hard to find elsewhere.
- A logical organization makes it quick and easy to find important information, with each section devoted to a single animal and chapters within each section organized by body system.
- Over 400 photographs and illustrations highlight key concepts such as radiographic interpretation and the main points of diagnostic, surgical, and therapeutic techniques.
- A chapter on ophthalmology provides hard-to-find information on eye care for ferrets, rabbits, rodents, and other small mammals.
- Coverage of preventive medicine includes basic biology, husbandry, and routine care of the healthy animal.
- The drug formulary supplies dosage instructions for ferrets, rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas, hamsters, rats/mice, prairie dogs, hedgehogs, and sugar gliders.
- Chapter outlines offer at-a-glance overviews of the contents of each chapter.
- Handy tables and charts make it easy to find key information.
- Expanded Zoonotic Diseases chapter adds more depth along with the latest information on the rising potential for disease transmission to humans as exotic pets become more popular.
- Additional surgical procedures for each species are included, some with step-by-step instructions accompanied by color photographs and line drawings.
- Full-color images show the sometimes minute structures of these small animals and make accurate diagnoses easier, especially for lymphoproliferative diseases of rabbits, endoscopy, cytology, and hematology.
Emergency and critical care medicine is one of the fastest growing fields of veterinary practice. Virtually every life-threatening disease can present for emergency evaluation, requiring knowledge of internal medicine, neurology, cardiology, oncology, anesthesia, and much more. Rapid and effective application of this knowledge can mean the difference between life and death for the animal.
Critical care requires the recognition of subtle changes in the clinical course of animals, and the ability to take corrective action before severe systemic disease becomes irreversible. Clinical decisions regarding seemingly small items, such as fluid therapy, antibiotics, or analgesics, can have a profound impact on patient outcome.
This book focuses on management of the more common emergency and critical care conditions encountered in clinical practice, collated in a concise manual. There are chapters on emergencies affecting each body system, on toxicology and other environmental causes, and on critical care techniques ranging from patient monitoring, anesthesia and analgesia to fluid therapy, transfusion medicine and nutritional support, plus a chapter describing clinical skills and procedures. The text is illustrated by top-quality color photos, imaging and diagrams, and key information is highlighted in tabular form.
The authors combine experience in teaching and in clinical practice, and provide a ready resource for all those actively engaged in the field: practitioners and trainees, technicians, and nurses.
Veterinary practitioners caring for small animals are faced daily with the challenge of managing emergency and critical care situations. The appropriate treatment must be undertaken as quickly as possible and the most life threatening problem tackled first. By providing over 200 randomly organised cases in the form of integrated questions, illustrations and explanations, this book allows readers to test skills in emergency situations, making rapid decisions, diagnostic and treatment plans. Detailed explanatory answers are then provided which will guide them through each clinical situation.
Written by a team of highly skilled authors from around the world, this book covers all aspects of emergency and critical care medicine where a co-ordinated team approach to patient care is needed. It has been welcomed by newly qualified veterinary practitioners, technicians, students and examination candidates.
Emphasizing evidence-based therapy for critically ill or injured dogs and cats, Small Animal Critical Care Medicine, 2nd Edition puts diagnostic and management strategies for common disorders at your fingertips. It covers critical care medical therapy, monitoring, and prognosis - from triage and stabilization through the entire course of acute medical crisis and intensive care treatment. To make therapeutic decisions easier, clear guidelines address underlying clinical findings, pathophysiology, outpatient follow-up, and long-term care. From lead editors Deborah Silverstein and Kate Hopper, along with a Who’s Who of experts from the veterinary emergency and critical care world, this comprehensive reference helps you provide the highest standard of care for ICU patients.
- Over 200 concise chapters are thoroughly updated to cover all of the clinical areas needed for evaluating, diagnosing, managing, and monitoring a critical veterinary patient.
- More than 150 recognized experts offer in-depth, authoritative guidance on emergency and critical care clinical situations from a variety of perspectives.
- A problem-based approach focuses on clinically relevant details.
- Practical, user-friendly format makes reference quick and easy with summary tables, boxes highlighting key points, illustrations, and algorithmic approaches to diagnosis and management.
- Hundreds of full-color illustrations depict various emergency procedures such as chest tube placement.
- Appendices offer quick access to the most often needed calculations, conversion tables, continuous rate infusion determinations, reference ranges, and more.
- All-NEW chapters include Minimally Invasive Diagnostics and Therapy, T-FAST and A-FAST, Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (SIRS), Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome (MODS), Sepsis, Physical Therapy Techniques, ICU Design and Management, and Communication Skills and Grief Counseling.
- NEW! Coverage of basic and advanced mechanical ventilation helps you in deliver high-quality care to patients with respiratory failure.
- NEW! Coverage of increasingly prevalent problems seen in the Intensive Care Unit includes multidrug-resistant bacterial infections and coagulation disorders.
- NEW chapters on fluid therapy and transfusion therapy provide information on how to prevent complications and maximize resources.
- UPDATED coagulation section includes chapters on hypercoagulability, platelet function and testing, anticoagulant therapy, and hemostatic drugs.