As societies become more complex and interconnected, the global risk for catastrophic disasters is increasing. Demand for expertise to mitigate the human suffering and damage these events cause is also high. A new field of disaster medicine is emerging, offering innovative approaches to optimize disaster management. Much of the information needed to create the foundation for this growing specialty is not objectively described or is scattered among multiple different sources. Now, for the first time, a coherent and comprehensive collection of scientific observations and evidence-based recommendations with expert contributors from around the globe is available in Koenig and Schultz's Disaster Medicine: Comprehensive Principles and Practices. This definitive work on Disaster Medicine identifies essential subject matter, clarifies nomenclature, and outlines necessary areas of proficiency for healthcare professionals handling mass casualty crises. It also describes in-depth strategies for the rapid diagnosis and treatment of victims suffering from blast injuries or exposure to chemical, biological, and radiological agents.
With reknowned contributions, this text provides chiropractic students with a strong foundation in neuromusculoskeletal diagnosis and treatment, as well as clinical orthopaedics and neurology. The text integrates principles of chiropractic, kinesiology, and orthopaedics for a rational approach to chiropractic practice. The new edition includes new chapters on rehabilitation and chiropractic management of headaches.
Therapeutic Programs for Musculoskeletal Disorders is a guide for musculoskeletal medicine trainees and physicians to the art and science of writing therapy prescriptions and developing individualized treatment plans. Chapters are written by teams of musculoskeletal physicians, allied health professionals, and trainees to underscore the importance of collaboration in designing programs and improving outcomes.
The book employs a literature-driven treatment approach to the common musculoskeletal problems that clinicians encounter on a daily basis. Each condition-specific chapter includes clinical background and presentation, physical examination, and diagnostics, followed by a comprehensive look at the rehabilitation program. Case examples with detailed therapy prescriptions reinforce key points. The book includes a bound-in DVD with downloadable patient handouts for most conditions.
Therapeutic Programs for Musculoskeletal Disorders Features:
- A concise but comprehensive approach to the conservative treatment of musculoskeletal disorders
- A focus on developing individualized treatment plans incorporating physical modalities, manual therapy, and therapeutic exercise
- A logical framework for writing effective therapy-based prescriptions for common limb and spine problems
- Case examples with detailed therapy prescriptions
- A targeted review of the associated literature in each condition-specific chapter
- A DVD with illustrated handouts covering home modalities and therapeutic exercises for key problems that can be provided to patients
- The first reference bringing together physicians, allied health professionals, and residents to provide an integrated foundation for improved team care utilizing an evidence-based approach to musculoskeletal rehabilitation
The fundamental textbook of orthopedic physical therapy is now in its thoroughly updated Fourth Edition. This new edition presents a "how-to" approach focusing on the foundations of manual therapy. More than 1,200 illustrations and photographs demonstrate therapeutic techniques. Extensive references cite key articles, emphasizing the latest research.
Reflecting current practice standards, this edition places greater emphasis on joint stabilization techniques and the role of exercise. Coverage includes new material on soft tissue manipulations and myofascial evaluation. This edition also features case studies covering real-life practice scenarios.
A practical text covering the diagnosis and chiropractic manual treatment of biomechanical peripheral joint problems commonly seen in clinical practice.
Written by a multidisciplinary team of experts from the University of Washington/Harborview Medical Center, this volume is the first comprehensive clinical reference on trauma rehabilitation. The book brings together, in one concise, cohesive source, all the essential practical information from physiatry, orthopaedics, neurosurgery, general surgery, emergency medicine, rehabilitation nursing, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech pathology, and prosthetics/orthotics.
Chapters cover traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, multiple musculoskeletal trauma, traumatic amputations, peripheral nerve injuries, and burns. Particular attention is given to early rehabilitation interventions during the acute phase. A chapter on special considerations for pediatric patients is also included.
Brain Injury Medicine - which includes free ebook access with every print purchase - is a clear and comprehensive guide to all aspects of the management of traumatic brain injury-from early diagnosis and evaluation through the post-acute period and rehabilitation. An essential reference for physicians and other health care professionals who work with patients with brain injury, the book focuses on assessment and treatment of the wider variety of clinical problems these patients face and addresses many associated concerns such as epidemiology, ethical issues, legal issues, and life-care planning. Written by over 190 acknowledged leaders, the text covers the full spectrum of the practice of brain injury medicine including principles of neural recovery, neuroimaging and neurodiagnostic testing, prognosis and outcome, acute care, rehabilitation, treatment of specific populations, neurologic and other medical problems following injury, cognitive and behavioral problems, post-trauma pain disorders, pharmacologic and alternative treatments, and community reentry and productivity.
Brain Injury Medicine, 2nd Edition Features:
- The acknowledged gold standard reference-brings together knowledge, experience, and evidence-based medicine
- Comprehensive and current-completely revised, updated, and expanded to include emerging topics and the latest clinical and research advances
- Multi-disciplinary focus-expert authorship from a wide range of specialties promotes a holistic team approach to a complex, many-faceted condition
- Covers the entire continuum of care from early diagnosis and assessment through acute management, rehabilitation, associated medical and quality of life issues, and functional outcomes
New to the Second Edition:
- Three new Associate Editors from related disciplines provide added expertise
- Five new sections: acute rehabilitative care, pediatric TBI, special senses, autonomic and other organ system problems, post-trauma pain disorders
- 25 new chapters running the gamut from health policy to biomechanics, to military TBI to pediatric issues and more
- Print + Digital Access: Purchase price includes enhanced e-book containing the complete and fully searchable text plus additional digital-only content
Give your patients the non-surgical pain relief they need with help from the Atlas of Image-Guided Spinal Procedures. This medical reference book features a highly visual format that shows you exactly how to perform each technique to get the best results.
Give your patients the pain relief they need with the latest image-guided spinal injection procedures! A highly visual format shows you exactly how to perform each technique.
. Safely and efficiently relieve your patients' pain thanks to an atlas format that displays each procedure step-by-step.
. See properly performed injections for yourself with an algorithmic,image-guided approach for each technique: trajectory view (demonstrates fluoroscopic "set up?); multi-planar confi rmation views (AP, lateral, oblique); and "safety view? (what should be avoided during injection), along with optimal and suboptimal contrast patterns.
. Special chapters on Needle Techniques, Fluoroscopic Imaging Pearls, Radiation Safety, and L5-S1 Disc Access provide additional visual instruction.
. View drawings of radiopaque landmarks and key radiolucent anatomy that cannot be viewed fl uoroscopically.
. Access the full text and downloadable image bank anytime, anywhere, at expertconsult.com..
Provide optimal outcomes for patients with back pain using fluoroscopically-guided, injection-based spinal procedures
Highly Commended at the 2004 British Medical Awards Medical Book Competition! Neurology---made visible Every practitioner in modern medicine is confronted daily with neurologic symptoms, diagnoses, and clinical problems. Yet there is scarcely any other medical specialty that is so fraught with complexities and abstractions. This pocket atlas is designed to provide a better, easier-to-understand visual guide on what the reader needs to know about neurology. In a unique way, neurology is made visible in the truest sense of the word. Coverage includes: - The basic principles of neuroanatomy and neurophysiology (structure of the CNS, peripheral nerves, stimulus transmission, nerve conduction velocity, etc.). - Diagnostic methods and procedures (clinical examinations, electrophysiologic techniques, imaging studies, etc.). - Neurologic disorders including their clinical manifestations, pathogenesis, and principles of treatment. These topics and more are covered in elaborately drawn, meticulously labeled illustrations. The effective concept of placing the illustrations opposite the descriptive text for a particular subject has created word-and-picture units that combine maximum teaching impact with an optimum density of information. Neurologic relationships can be grasped literally at a glance. This pocket atlas is intended for medical students, physicians, and other medical professionals (nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists) who could profit from a visual guide to neurology.
Netter’s Concise Orthopaedic Anatomy is a best-selling, portable, full-color resource excellent to have on hand during your orthopaedic rotation, residency, or as a quick look-up in practice. Jon C. Thompson presents the latest data in thoroughly updated diagnostic and treatment algorithms for all conditions while preserving the popular at-a-glance table format from the previous edition. You’ll get even more art from the Netter Collection as well as new radiologic images that visually demonstrate the key clinical correlations and applications of anatomical imaging. For a fast, memorable review of orthopaedic anatomy, this is a must-have.
- Maintains the popular at-a-glance table format that makes finding essential information quick and convenient.
- Contains useful clinical information on disorders, trauma, history, physical exam, radiology, surgical approaches, and minor procedures in every chapter.
- Lists key information on bones, joints, muscles, and nerves in tables correlate to each Netter image.
- Highlights key material in different colors-pearls in green and warnings in red-for easy reference.
- Features both plain film and advanced radiographic (CT and MRI) images, along with cross-sectional anatomic plates for an even more thorough visual representation of the material.
- Includes additional common surgical approaches to give you a broader understanding of techniques.
- Incorporates reorganized Complicated Arthology tables for large joints, such as the shoulder, knee, and hip, for increased clarity and to incorporate new artwork and additional clinical correlations.
- Reflects new data and current diagnostic and treatment techniques through updates to the Disorders and Fractures sections and the Physical Exam and Anatomic tables in each chapter.
- Presents the very latest developments in the field through thoroughly updated diagnostic and treatment algorithms for all clinical conditions.