- Audience: first and second year medical students; nursing practitioner students; physician assistant students; residents in internal medicine, anesthesiology, pediatrics, pulmonary medicine; and respiratory therapists
- Emphasizes comprehension of fundamental concepts over memorization
- All major concepts illustrated with figures
- Clinical study questions and answers and problem-based examples in each chapter
- New to this edition: correlations to clinical medicine at the end of each chapter, updated text throughout, additional tables added to highlight key concepts, and updated references
The new edition of this essential resource covers core areas of respiratory care in a convenient outline format that makes it a great quick-reference guide, a handy review tool for credentialing examinations, and a comprehensive reference guide for clinical practice. Key topics include basic science; anatomy and physiology of the respiratory, cardiovascular, renal, and neurological systems; and therapeutic aspects of neonatal, pediatric, and adult respiratory care. Also features extensive coverage of pharmacology and infection control.
- The convenient outline format breaks information down into manageable bits of information that make it ideal for study, review, and quick reference
- The comprehensive coverage of key topics - from introductory material through therapeutic care - consolidates the full spectrum of respiratory care into one essential resource
- Completely updated to reflect the significant advancements in the field of respiratory care
- Reflects the required core content of the most recent National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC) examination matrix, ensuring the most up-to-date competency requirements for certification
- Features new chapters on ventilatory management for obstructive pulmonary disease, adult respiratory distress syndrome, NIPPV, tracheal gas insufflation, prone positioning, and liquid ventilation
- A redesigned format provides easier navigation through the text
The definitive guide to the use of mechanical ventilation in critically ill patients – now in full color and updated to reflect the latest advances
A Doody's Core Title for 2015!
Principles & Practice of Mechanical Ventilation, 3e provides comprehensive, authoritative coverage of all the clinical, pharmacological, and technical issues surrounding the use of mechanical ventilation.
Editor Martin J. Tobin – past editor-in-chief of the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine – has enlisted more than 100 authors, all of whom are at the forefront of research in their chosen subfield in order to provide the most authoritative and up-to-date information possible. No other text so thoroughly and comprehensively explores the myriad advances in modes and methodologies that have occurred in this ever-changing field as this cornerstone text.
Principles & Practice of Mechanical Ventilation, 3e comprehensively covers the principles and practice of keeping patients alive through the use of mechanical ventilation, along with related pharmacological and technical issues.
For all students and clinicians assessing or caring for patients with cardiopulmonary disorders, Respiratory Care: Patient Assessment and Care Plan Development is a must-have resource. As the most comprehensive reference available, it is a guide to the evaluation of the patient, and the development and implementation of an appropriate, evidence-based, respiratory care plan. Respiratory Care: Patient Assessment and Care Plan Development describes the purpose of patient assessment and then guides the reader through the process of the reviewing existing data in the medical record, conducting the patient interview, performing the physical assessment, and finally evaluating the diagnostic studies needed and implementing a respiratory care plan. Bridging the gap between patient assessment and treatment, the reader will learn how to apply assessment skills to the development and implementation of respiratory care plans. Integrated throughout each chapter are Clinical Focus exercises, RC Ins
A complete guide to the entire field of respiratory medicine-with all-new content and a streamlined new design
First published in 1980, Fishman's Pulmonary Diseases & Disorders is the classic reference through which pulmonary physicians have gained a commanding look at the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary diseases and disorders. Edited by the world's foremost authorities, Fishman's Pulmonary Diseases & Disorders covers exactly what you need to know about lung diseases and their management, including sleep-disordered breathing, COPD, emphysema, and lung cancer, as well as new technological advances and imaging techniques.
This unparalleled two-volume resource begins with a compelling overview of up-to-date clinical perspectives, along with the scientific basis of lung function health and disease. It then provides turnkey information on everything from respiratory disease signs and symptoms, to obstructive lung diseases, occupational and environmental disorders, and specific respiratory conditions such as infections diseases of the lungs and acute respiratory failure.
New to the 4th Edition:
- Information on recent advancements in many clinically relevant areas of pulmonary medicine
- Update to the infectious diseases chapters that reflect current practice guidelines and recent antimicrobial developments
- Clearer connection between fundamental science concepts and clinical applications, which reflect current scientific research
- Latest information on sleep disorders
- Review of recent recommendations of the American Thoracic Society and European Respiratory Society for the accurate interpretation of pulmonary function tests
- Appendices that include a respiratory questionnaire, normal values, and commonly used terms & symbols
Prepare yourself for the new 2015 NBRC credentialing examination with the most up-to-date review resource! Respiratory Care Exam Review, 4th Edition contains everything you need to review and prepare for the new Therapist Multiple-Choice Examination that closely aligns with the NBRC’s new testing format, including more analysis-type questions. The accompanying Evolve website offers even more review with a practice Therapist Multiple-Choice Exam to familiarize yourself with the computerized exam format. Twenty clinical simulations that reflect the new quantity of simulations on the actual Clinical Simulation Exam (CSE) are also included on the companion website for additional practice on this very difficult portion of the Registry exam.
- UNIQUE! Clinical simulations on the Evolve companion site reflect the new quantity of simulations (20) and the newly revised length of these simulations on the actual 2015 Clinical Simulation Exam (CSE).
- Rationales are provided on the Evolve companion site for every question in the practice exam along with the NBRC code for the difficulty level of the question (recall, application, analysis).
- UNIQUE! Exam notes are highlighted in special boxes to help you streamline your time better by identifying content specific to the credentialing exam.
- A practice exam reflecting the new TM-CE is included in the back of the text with the answer key and rationales provided on Evolve.
- Pre-tests with several multiple-choice questions are formatted like those found on the NBRC TM-CE and begin each chapter to help you determine a base of knowledge and content areas of strength and weakness before studying the chapter.
- Computerized practice exam on the Evolve companion site available in both study (untimed) and exam (timed) modes to provide an additional opportunity to practice and experience the actual NBRC testing environment in a computerized format.
- Experienced and test-savvy author, Gary Persing, ensures that critical NBRC TM-CE content is covered thoroughly and accurately.
- Comprehensive, yet straightforward outline format correlates with the updated 2015 NBRC Detailed Content Outline and exam matrix to keep content current.
- Open-ended post-chapter study questions end each chapter to reinforce information and help you retain the material.
- NEW! One Therapist Multiple Choice Exam (TM-CE) practice test aligns with the new 2015 NBRC written exam.
- NEW! Revised resources on Evolve companion site include the following new features:
- HTML5 formatting for greater flexibility among platforms
- 9 additional clinical simulations (for a total of 20) with shortened sections to align with the new 2015 NBRC Clinical Simulation Exam (in both study mode and exam mode)
- One Therapist Multiple Choice Exam (TM-CE) practice exam for both levels of credentialing to closely align with the new testing format
- Equation tips providing special hints or instructions for common equations
- Standard normal range guide featuring standard values of various parameters used in respiratory care assessment.
- NEW! Additional analysis-type questions have been added to the Pre- and Post-Chapter study questions to align with the changes in the matrix content outlines.
A new edition of the classic text, Respiratory Care: Principles and Practice, Second Edition is a truly authoritative text for respiratory care students who desire a complete and up to date exploration of the technical and professional aspects of respiratory care. With foundations in evidence-based practice, this essential text reviews respiratory assessment, respiratory therapeutics, respiratory diseases, basic sciences and their application to respiratory care, the respiratory care profession, and much more. Edited and authored by leading experts, Respiratory Care: Principles and Practice incorporates the latest information on the practice of respiratory care into a well-organized, reader-friendly guide to help students learn to develop care plans, critical thinking skills, strong communication and patient education skills, and the clinical leadership skills needed to succeed. This text provides essential information in a practical and manageable format for optimal learning and retention. Features include Clinical Practice Guidelines, Key Points, and Respiratory Recaps to help students apply knowledge to practice and retain key information, as well as hundreds of glossary terms with clear definitions, and concise explanations of important concepts and equations. Including a wealth of full color photos and illustrations, and content cross-referenceing the NBRC examination matrices, Respiratory Care: Principles and Practice, Second Edition is the definitive resource for today’s successful respiratory care practitioner.
A comprehensive text on respiratory care for neonates, infants, and children, Neonatal and Pediatric Respiratory Care, 4th Edition provides a solid foundation in the assessment and treatment of respiratory care disorders. Clear, full-color coverage emphasizes clinical application of the principles of neonatal/pediatric respiratory care. New to this edition is coverage of the latest advances in clinical practice, a chapter devoted to quality and safety, and summary boxes discussing real-world clinical scenarios. From author Brian Walsh, an experienced educator and respiratory therapist, this text is an excellent study tool for the NBRC’s Neonatal/Pediatric Specialty exam!
- A comprehensive, evidence-based approach covers all of the major topics of respiratory care for neonates, infants, and children, including both theory and application.
- Case studies help you master the more difficult areas of care for neonatal and pediatric disorders.
- Logical, streamlined organization makes it easier for students to master the material and prepare for an entry-level BS degree and the national Neonatal/Pediatric Specialty credentialing exam.
- Learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter highlight the "take-aways" by breaking down key content into measurable behaviors, criteria, and conditions.
- Complete test preparation is provided through coverage of all the content in the matrix for the NPS exam.
- NBRC exam-style assessment questions test your comprehension of the material in each chapter.
- Answers to assessment and case study questions are provided on the Evolve companion website.
- New Quality and Safety chapter addresses quality care for the neonatal/pediatric patient.
- New Clinical Highlights boxes discuss realistic scenarios to help you apply your knowledge to clinical practice.
- UPDATED! Over 400 full-color illustrations - plus clear tables and graphs- make it easier to visualize key concepts.
- New! Key point summary at end of each chapter highlights essential content in a bulleted format.
- New! Glossary provides easy access to key terms and their definitions.
- New! Key terms at the beginning of each chapter highlight important terminology.
A comprehensive overview of the equipment and techniques used by respiratory therapists to treat cardiopulmonary dysfunction, Mosby's Respiratory Care Equipment, 9th edition provides a "how-to" approach that moves beyond technical descriptions of machinery. Learn to identify equipment, understand how it works, and apply your knowledge to clinical practice. The 9th edition includes streamlined information on the latest ventilators, a new chapter on simulation learning devices, and additional, easy-to-access content on the Evolve site.
- Unique! List of Ventilators organized by application area and manufacturer make review and research quick and easy.
- Unique! Clinical Approach provides you with a "how-to" approach to identifying equipment, understanding how it works, and applying the information in clinical practice.
- Excerpts of Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPGs) give you important information regarding indications/contraindications, hazards and complications, assessment of need, assessment of outcome, and monitoring.
- Unique! Sleep Diagnostics chapter discusses sleep and the impact of sleep disorders on cardiopulmonary function.
- Unique! Infection Control chapter provides a review of this critical topic that RTs must understand to prevent health care-associated infections
- Unique! Cardiovascular Diagnostics chapter provides a review in an area where RTs are treating an increasing number of cardiovascular cases.
- NBRC-style Self-Assessment Questions at the end of every chapter prepares you for credentialing exams.
- Unique! Clinical Scenario boxes (formerly Clinical Rounds) allow you to apply material learned to a clinical setting.
- Unique! Historical Notes boxes present educational and/or clinically relevant and valuable historical information of respiratory care equipment.
- NEW! Streamlined ventilator coverage presents information on the most often-used devices with more tables and bulleted lists for easy reference.
- NEW! Content focused on the newest and the most popular types of ventilators, including, transport, home-care, alternative setting, and neonatal/pediatric.
- NEW! Evolve site allows access to information that isn't easily found in other texts or manuals, including older or outdated ventilators that are still in use today.
- NEW! Focus to align Learning Objectives, Key Points and Assessment Questions
Perfect for both practicing therapists and students in respiratory therapy and associated professions, this well-organized text offers the most clinically relevant and up-to-date information on respiratory applied anatomy and physiology. Content spans the areas of basic anatomy and physiology of the pulmonary, cardiovascular, and renal systems, and details the physiological principles underlying common therapeutic, diagnostic, and monitoring therapies and procedures. Using a clear and easy-to-understand format, this text helps you take a more clinical perspective and learn to think more critically about the subject matter.
- Open-ended concept questions
- NEW! Chapter on the physiological basis for treating sleep-disordered breathing clarifies the physiological mechanisms of sleep-disordered breathing and the various techniques required to treat this type of disorder.
- NEW! Reorganization of content places the section on the renal system before the section on integrated responses in exercise and aging to create a more logical flow of content.
- NEW! More Clinical Focus scenarios and concept questions provide additional opportunities to build upon content previously learned and to apply new information in the text.