The new edition of this worktext addresses such relevant issues as security and confidentiality, and covers numeric filing, alphabetic filing, cross-referencing, color coding, records control and computer assisted filing. Objectives, key terms and examples give students an understanding of medical filing procedures. Organized into seven units, including many examples, illustrations, "check your understanding" exercises, "check your knowledge" questions, application projects and a final exam. Completion time: 10-15 hours. (medical assisting, medical filing)
Built around introductory courses that orient new PA students to the profession, this comprehensive, up-to-date book traces the origins of physician assisting in the United States and other countries, examining education, career opportunities, and future trends. The 2nd Edition reflects the many changes that have taken place recently in health care and physician assistant programs, curriculum, and the profession. It draws on over 750 published papers related to PAs and other health providers, offering an in-depth exploration of the PA role in primary care, inpatient services, and specialized care, as well as the legal basis of PA deployment and the economics of their utilization.
- Extensive documented research refers to hundreds of published papers, books, and other media sources on PA education and on the profession, listed in the comprehensive reference section at the end of the book.
- The authors are well-known, respected experts who are highly regarded in the field.
- All essential info for the required introductory PA course is covered in one text, which is helpful to both students and instructors.
- Material has been expanded to cover 14 chapters, with new chapters devoted to Physician Assistant Organizations and Federal Employees, and expanded coverage of important topics in other chapters.
- All material in tables, figures, and the text itself has been revised and updated based on the most recent research to reflect the many changes in the health care and physician assistant fields since the first edition was published.
- New issues are addressed that have come out of major changes in the American health care system, incorporating discussions of the latest information and the most current data on the PA profession and PA education.
- Approximately 25 new illustrations have been added to this edition, covering new material or illustrating concepts that were previously presented only in text discussions.
This third edition is the most comprehensive and dynamic learning package on the market for Medical Assisting. It boasts the most skills and procedures covered and includes key areas either not found or lightly touched on in other books such as: History of Medicine, Professional Procedures, coverage of OSHA and CLIA, and transcription. All ABHES and CAAHEP competencies are covered. The new edition maps to the latest CAAHEP Standards and Guidelines for Medical Assisting Educational programs and the ABHES Program Requirements and Curriculum. Comprehensive Medical Assisting: Administrative and Clinical Competencies provides more opportunity for critical thinking through case studies, critical thinking questions, scenarios, and features tying to both of Delmar's Medical Assisting DVD series. The book also emphasizes softer skills such as professionalism and practical skills including how to comply with HIPAA regulations and deal with privacy issues on the job. Delmar is a part of Cengage Learning.
Using a clear, hands-on approach to learning front office skills, Medical Office Administration, 3rd Edition prepares you for a successful career as an administrative medical assistant. You will perform procedures with Medisoft® v18 software, allowing you to practice day-to-day tasks as if you were in an actual office setting. This edition adds NEW coverage of ICD-10 coding and updated content on electronic health records. Written by expert medical administrative educator Brenda Potter, this worktext helps you develop the knowledge and skills you need to think critically and respond confidently to the challenges you’ll encounter on the job. Medisoft software sold separately.
- Engaging worktext format makes it easier to apply what you’ve learned to the real world, breaking up the content into manageable segments, and providing case studies, critical thinking exercises, role-playing exercises, and collaborative learning activities.
- Real-world examples apply important concepts to the medical office setting.
- A conversational writing style makes it easier to read and understand the material.
- HIPAA Hints ensure that you comply with HIPAA mandates.
- UNIQUE! The Diverse Community of Patients chapter addresses the important issue of cultural diversity.
- Procedure boxes offer step-by-step instructions on how to perform specific administrative tasks.
- Procedure checklists spell out the individual steps required to complete a full range of administrative procedures, and are based on CAAHEP competencies.
- Learning objectives show the key points that you are expected to learn in each chapter.
- NEW! Medisoft® v18 software allows you to practice common administrative tasks with real-world office management software. Medisoft sold separately.
- NEW! Coverage of ICD-10 coding prepares you for the October 2014 transition to ICD-10.
- UPDATED EHR coverage applies administrative concepts and procedures to their use within the Electronic Health Record.
- NEW electronic procedure checklists on the Evolve companion website measure how well you have mastered procedures.
This highly useful reference provides essential information that makes the task of transcribing medical reports easier and more efficient. Organized by the type of problem or issue transcriptionists are likely to encounter on the job - and written by an experienced, well-known medical transcriptionist - the format of this book is designed to significantly reduce "down time" spent researching information. It follows the AAMT style guidelines and provides quick access to facts related to anatomy, general medical terminology, and various medical specialties.
- Intuitive, problem-based organization presents information by type of problem or situation that transcriptionists are likely to encounter, for fast, efficient reference.
- A broad scope provides just the right amount of information for answers to the most common issues that most medical transcriptionists encounter.
- Authored by a well-known and respected professional, her expertise gives the reader confidence in the value, accuracy, and relevance of the material.
- Written to specifically reflect the AAMT style guidelines, for a direct tie-in with the accepted national standard.
- The best "first reach" book for time-saving and accuracy -it often provides the answer immediately, or otherwise directs the user to the next level search.
*The ideal quick-reference companion to the bestselling fifth edition of the Tintinalli Emergency Medicine Study Guide
*Just the Facts presents all the key concepts physicians and residents need to know for board certification or re-certification, all in an easy-to-study, bullet-style format
*Prepared under the guidance of the American College of Emergency Physicians.
A complete guide to certification for the medical assistant, one of the fastest-growing occupations in the United States.
Medical assisting is one of the fastest-growing professions in the United States and is showing one of the highest growth rates of any profession. Certification for medical assistants opens the door to opportunities and higher salaries, is required by many managed care organizations, and may become legally mandated in the near future. Medical assistants held 417,000 jobs in 2007 and the number continues to grow. Recertification is required every five years. Kaplan Medical Assistant Exam Review provides a complete guide to certification for the medical assistant.
This comprehensive book features: Review of all tested subjects for the CMA and RMA exams Kaplan test-taking strategies Diagnostic test Full-length practice test (CMA) with complete answer explanations Career resources
Gerontology For The Health Care Professional, Second Edition is a comprehensive, practical text covering the evolving field of gerontology, written for health care students and professionals . This text is clinically relevant while implementing theoretical treatment of the subject matter. Written by experts across many health professions, Gerontology For The Health Care Professional, Second Edition presents an up-to-date and realistic view on the aging process. With topics presented in an introductory fashion, this book covers all the important aspects of aging and instills an appreciation For The multidimensional aspects of aging for those who are working with and caring for elderly patients or clients. Each chapter includes objectives, chapter outlines, multiple-choice review questions and learning activities! Available Instructor Resources Include: PowerPoint Slides, Instructor's Manual and Discussion Questions. New To The Second Edition : Thoroughly updated content New information on sleep, aging, and functional performance later in life A new chapter on effective communication with older people Topics Covered Include: Demographic Trends of an Aging Society Social Aspects of Aging the Physiology and Pathology of Aging Staying Healthy in Late Life Cognition and Aging the Psychological Aspects of Aging (including quality of life, personality change, and behavioral change) Nutrition Throughout the Lifespan Drug Therapy and Polypharmacy in the Elderly Sexuality and Aging the Continuum of Care (including care giving) Financing Health Care For The Elderly Health Care Providers Working with the Elderly Future Concerns in an Aging Society
With updated review questions and practice tests, Saunders Medical Assisting Exam Review, 4th Edition helps you prepare for and pass the CMA, RMA, CMAS, CCMA, and CMAA certification exams. An outline format makes it easy to review core concepts and competencies; realistic practice tests simulate the exam experience and help you build test-taking confidence. This edition adds coverage of three certifications - CMAS, CCMA, and CMAA. Written by medical assisting educator Deborah Holmes, this review includes an Evolve companion website with over 1,500 practice questions, additional practice exams for each of the certifications, flashcards, and crossword puzzles.
- Comprehensive content includes increased coverage of study skills and test-taking, EHR, ICD-10, and diseases and disorders.
- Convenient outline format provides at-a-glance review and streamlines the subject areas typically found on the certification exams.
- An Evolve companion website provides practice taking exams electronically, chapter review questions, crossword puzzles, and flashcards.
- A Professionalism and Career Development chapter emphasizes the importance of presenting yourself in a professional manner.
- UPDATED content covers the top 50 drugs most commonly encountered in practice, the latest standards from CAAHEP, ABHES and the NHA, and topics such as emergency preparedness and the electronic medical record.
- UPDATED laboratory tests and normal values reflect current practice.
- NEW! 3 more certifications are covered in this edition and include practice examinations on the Evolve companion website - CMAS (AMT), CCMA (NHA), and CMAA (NHA).
- NEW! Correlation grids to certification test outlines and competencies align with current test outlines from certifying organizations.
- NEW! 10 review questions per chapter are available on Evolve for additional practice.
- NEW! Rationales are included on all practice exams to reinforce understanding.
- NEW! Additional illustrations reinforce concepts and show equipment and supplies.