Learn how diagnostic ultrasound works, and find out how to properly handle artifacts, scan safely, evaluate instrument performance, and prepare for registry examinations, with the market-leading Sonography Principles and Instruments, 9th Edition. It concisely and comprehensively covers the essential aspects of ultrasound physics and instrumentation like Doppler, artifacts, safety, quality assurance, and the newest technology - all in a dynamic, highly visual format for easy review of key information. Dr. Kremkau, unlike others, uses extensive exam questions, over 1,000 high-quality illustrations, and only the most basic equations to simplify complicated concepts, making this text a highly respected reference for sonography students and professionals.
- Essential coverage of physics and sonography prepares you for the physics portion of the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) certification exam.
- Current technology content, including the continuing progression of contrast agents and 3D and the more general aspects of transducers and instruments, helps you better comprehend the text.
- Straightforward explanations simplify complicated concepts.
- Learning objectives at the beginning of every chapter give you a measurable outcome to achieve.
- Key terms provide you with a list of the most important terms at the beginning of each chapter.
- Key Points, called out with an icon and special type, highlight the most important information to help you study more efficiently.
- Bulleted reviews at the end of each chapter identify key concepts covered in that chapter.
- End-of-chapter exercises test your knowledge and understanding with a mix of true/false, fill-in-the-blank, multiple choice, and matching questions.
- Glossary of key terms at the end of the book serves as a quick reference, letting you look up definitions without having to search through each chapter.
- Appendices, including a List of Symbols, Complication of Equations, and Mathematics Review, equip you with additional resources to help comprehend difficult concepts.
- An Evolve site with student resources enhances your learning experience.
- A full-color design depicts over 120 high-quality ultrasound scans similar to what you will encounter in the clinical setting.
- NEW! All-new content on elastography, shear wave imaging, acoustic radiation force impulse imaging (ARFI), volume imaging, power M-mode Doppler in TCD, miniaturization, and newer acquisition technique in Epic System keeps you in the know.
- NEW! Updated instrument output data and official safety statements ensure you are current with today’s technology.
- NEW! Updated art added to necessary chapters gives you an up-to-date representation of what you will encounter in the clinical setting.
The book provides a detailed, up-to-date account of the basics, the technology, and the clinical use of ion beams for radiation therapy. Theoretical background, technical components, and patient treatment schemes are delineated by the leading experts that helped to develop this field from a research niche to its current highly sophisticated and powerful clinical treatment level used to the benefit of cancer patients worldwide.
Rather than being a side-by-side collection of articles, this book consists of related chapters. It is a common achievement by 76 experts from around the world. Their expertise reflects the diversity of the field with radiation therapy, medical and accelerator physics, radiobiology, computer science, engineering, and health economics. The book addresses a similarly broad audience ranging from professionals that need to know more about this novel treatment modality or consider to enter the field of ion beam therapy as a researcher. However, it is also written for the interested public and for patients who might want to learn about this treatment option.
Categories: Medical / Allied Health Services / Imaging Technologies, Medical / Allied Health Services / Radiological & Ultrasound Technology, Medical / Oncology, Medical / Radiology & Nuclear Medicine, Medical / Radiology, Radiotherapy & Nuclear Medicine, Science / Physics / General, Science / Radiation, Technology & Engineering / Biomedical, Technology & Engineering / Engineering (General), Technology & Engineering / Power Resources / General, Uncategorized
A must-have for anyone who will be required to read and interpret common radiologic images, Learning Radiology: Recognizing the Basics is an image-filled, practical, and easy-to-read introduction to key imaging modalities. Skilled radiology teacher William Herring, MD, masterfully covers exactly what you need to know to effectively interpret medical images of all modalities. Learn the latest on ultrasound, MRI, CT, patient safety, dose reduction, radiation protection, and more, in a time-friendly format with brief, bulleted text and abundant high-quality images.
- Identify a wide range of common and uncommon conditions based upon their imaging findings.
- Arrive at diagnoses by following a pattern recognition approach, and logically overcome difficult diagnostic challenges with the aid of decision trees.
- Quickly grasp the fundamentals you need to know through more than 700 images and an easy-to-use format and pedagogy, including: bolding of key points and icons designating special content; Diagnostic Pitfalls; Really, Really Important Points; Weblinks; and Take-Home Points.
- Gauge your mastery of the material and build confidence with extra images, bonus content, interactive self-assessment exercises, and USMLE-style Q&A that provide effective chapter review and quick practice for your exams.
- Apply the latest recommendations on patient safety, dose reduction and radiation protection
- Benefit from the extensive knowledge and experience of esteemed author Dr. William Herring-a skilled radiology teacher and the host of his own specialty website, www.learningradiology.com.
- Stay current in the latest advancements and developments with meticulous updates throughout including a new chapter on Pediatric Radiology as well as more than 60 new and updated photos, many highlighting newer imaging modalities.
As a healthcare practitioner, you will face a broad range of professional
dilemmas in your everyday practice. From seeking consent to upholding
patient confidentiality, you'll rely on your knowledge of ethics, the law
and professional codes of conduct to guide your actions. Balancing these
three strands can be difficult, but with detailed scenarios and accessible
discussion, this book guides you through the complexities of practice.
Taking a practice-based approach, the text explores the combination of
ethical, legal and professional issues which characterise the field of
healthcare. A range of experienced contributors come together to
■ detailed analysis of confidentiality, accountability, consent, capacity
and justice, all grounded within the daily practice context;
■ authoritative guidance through discussion of legal cases, excerpts
from statutes and extracts from professional guidelines;
■ realistic scenarios drawn from a range of health settings, unravelling
and illustrating the guidelines, statutes and policies which influence
■ advice on balancing the conflicting pressures of the modern healthcare
context, from facing time limitations to challenging the unprofessional
practice of others.
Ethics, Law and Professional Issues puts you at the centre of some of a
practitioner's most difficult decisions. It is therefore an essential resource
for any student of healthcare looking to develop an ethically, legally
and professionally sound approach to practice.
A comprehensive, evidence-based introduction to the area of lymphology, the book is directed mainly to the US audience and will appeal to an interdiscplinary field of health professionals. It describes the unique anatomy and physiology of the lymphatic system and the intimate relationship it shares with the venous system. It explores the differential diagnosis of the “swollen leg/arm”, which is often the presenting problem to the health care professional. The necessity of history taking, physical examination and laboratory studies are noted. Treatment methods are described as an introduction and psychosocial and quality of life issues are explored in depth. The book will appeal to primary care physicians whose cancer patients are sent to radiation oncologists (who themselves must be knowledgeable about possible lymphedema following treatment), to medical and surgical oncologists, as well as physical therapists, and every US medical school.
There will always be a need for professionals to work collaboratively if they are to provide the highest standard of care. Interprofessional working encourages practitioners to understand the roles of other professionals and to learn from each other, as well as from service users and carers, to ensure the full benefit of this collaboration is realised. It is an essential element of both education and practice for today's professionals.
Interprofessional Working in Health and Social Care discusses the rationale, skills and conditions required for interprofessional working. In addition, it provides an overview of the roles and perspectives of different health professionals across a broad range
of expertise: education, housing, medicine, midwifery, nursing, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, police, probation, radiography, social work and youth work.
The second edition:
• Offers a broad variety of case studies from a range of fi elds and settings.
• Includes a new chapter dedicated to interprofessional working with service users
• Looks forward, offering brand new content on new and emerging roles such as
specialist paramedics and approved mental health practitioners.
This book is a valuable tool for students and practitioners across the health and social care discipline, employing engaging case studies and reflective activities to support learning about interprofessional and interagency collaboration.
Seeing is believing with the Atlas of Normal Roentgen Variants That May Simulate Disease, edited by the late Theodore Keats and Mark W. Anderson. Now streamlined into a more concise, portable print format, with a wealth of additional content online, this medical reference book's thousands of images capture the roentgenographic presentation of a full range of normal variants and pseudo-lesions that may resemble pathologic conditions, helping you avoid false positives. You'd be hard pressed to find a comparable image collection in any one place online.
- Make the correct diagnosis with hundreds of MR and CT correlations.
- Recognize the entire spectrum of normal variants with over 6,000 images, the largest collection available on this topic.
- Prepare for the pitfalls of the oral exam with an easily accessible text that's designed to help you avoid false positives.
- Find the most essential content more quickly with a much more compact print volume that covers only the most important skeletal presentations.
- Access the complete contents of the book online at www.expertconsult.com, plus
- Complete coverage of soft tissues
- Hundreds of additional skeletal images
Browse the best collection of normal variants in the world!
Improving healthcare and staying healthy is one of the most discussed and important issues in our society. Technology has played and will play an important role in many aspects of the healthcare system, and it offers new and better ways to solve the key health problems of the new century.
Philips has a strong and successful healthcare and wellness research program, which has significantly contributed to many health related technology breakthroughs in the past, and which addresses important innovations to shape the future of medical care. This program is linked to many academic research activities and sites worldwide.
This book describes valued contributions of technology for improving hospital and home healthcare, and gives a perspective on how they will influence critical aspects of future medical care. It provides an overview and discussion of trends, presents the state-of-the-art of important research areas, and highlights recent breakthrough results in selected fields, giving an outlook on game-changing developments in the coming decades.
The material is arranged in 6 parts and a total of 31 chapters. The healthcare areas addressed are: General advances and trends in healthcare technology, diagnostic imaging, integration of imaging and therapy, molecular medicine, medical information technology and personal healthcare.
Categories: Medical / Administration, Medical / Allied Health Services / Imaging Technologies, Medical / Allied Health Services / Medical Technology, Medical / Biochemistry, Medical / General, Medical / Instruments & Supplies, Medical / Oncology, Medical / Radiology & Nuclear Medicine, Medical / Research, Science / Life Sciences / Molecular Biology, Uncategorized
A comprehensive guide to the practical aspects of nuclear medicine instruments, Nuclear Medicine Instrumentation, Second Edition prepares students to become skilled technologists. This informative reference covers nuclear medicine instruments from simple radiation detectors to complex positron emission tomography (PET) scanners, focusing on the operation of the most commonly used instruments and issues that arise in their use. Important Notice: The digital edition of this book is missing some of the images or content found in the physical edition.
This is the second edition of a very popular book on DICOM that introduces this complex standard from a very practical point of view. It is aimed at a broad audience of radiologists, clinical administrators, information technologists, medical students, and lecturers. The book provides a gradual, down to earth introduction to DICOM, accompanied by an analysis of the most common problems associated with its implementation. Compared with the first edition, many improvements and additions have been made, based on feedback from readers. Whether you are running a teleradiology project or writing DICOM software, this book will provide you with clear and helpful guidance. It will prepare you for any DICOM projects or problem solving, and assist you in taking full advantage of multifaceted DICOM functionality.
Categories: Computers / Computer Vision & Pattern Recognition, Computers / Data Processing, Computers / Hardware / General, Computers / Networking / General, Computers / Online Services, Mathematics / Discrete Mathematics, Medical / Allied Health Services / Imaging Technologies, Medical / Biochemistry, Medical / Clinical Medicine, Medical / General, Medical / Instruments & Supplies, Medical / Radiology & Nuclear Medicine, Uncategorized