Now in its Fifth Edition, Clinical Epidemiology: The Essentials is a comprehensive, concise, and clinically oriented introduction to the subject of epidemiology. Written by expert educators, this text introduces students to the principles of evidence-based medicine that will help them develop and apply methods of clinical observation in order to form accurate conclusions. The Fifth Edition includes more complete coverage of systematic reviews and knowledge management, as well as other key topics such as abnormality, diagnosis, frequency and risk, prognosis, treatment, prevention, chance, studying cases and cause.
Healthcare managers confront many difficult and complex questions. Economics for Healthcare Managers provides the economic tools managers need to simplify and improve decision making. This book provides a framework for understanding pricing, regulation, costs, market demand, profitability, and risk-issues that all healthcare managers face. Thoroughly revised and updated, the second edition features: # A new chapter on creating and interpreting forecasts # A new chapter on government intervention in healthcare markets # Case studies and examples that illustrate how to analyze management problems and make recommendations # Key concepts, discussion questions, and a glossary for each chapter Written in a straightforward and practical style, this book is ideal for readers with no background in economics.
Introduction to Health Care Delivery:A Primer for Pharmacists, Fifth Edition provides students with a current and comprehensive overview of the U.S. health care delivery system from the perspective of the pharmacy profession. Each thoroughly updated chapter of this best-selling text includes real-world case studies, learning objectives, chapter review questions, questions for further discussion, and updated key topics and terms. New and expanded topics include public health, pharmacoepidemiology, cultural competence, and leadership. Patient-Provider dialogues are also included to help students apply key concepts. Instructor Resources include a Transition Guide, PowerPoint Presentations, and an Instructor's Manual. Key Features • Case Scenario per Chapter • Learning Objectives • Chapter Review Questions • Doctor/Patient Scripts • Questions for Further Discussion • References Each new textbook includes an online code to access the Student Resources available on the Companion Website. Online access may also be purchased separately. *Please note: Electronic/eBook formats do not include access to the Companion Website.
No health care professional in Canada should be without a clear understanding of the Canadian health care system! Health and Health Care Delivery in Canada, 2nd Edition explores the nation's basic approach to health, wellness, and illness. Set entirely within a Canadian context, this text includes coverage of individual and population health, the role of federal agencies and provincial governments, health care funding, and current issues and future trends in health care. Written by experienced educator and nurse practitioner, Valerie Thompson, this textbook is ideal for all students beginning a career in health care.
- Clear, easy-to-understand approach to health care in Canada begins with an overview of health, wellness, and illness and proceeds through the fundamentals of the Canadian health care system, such as population health, ethical and legal issues, health care funding and principles, practice settings, and changing trends.
- Learning Outcomes outline the knowledge that you should gain in each chapter.
- Key Terms open each chapter and include page references for definitions.
- Student-friendly learning aids include summary tables and boxes, photographs, figures, and illustrations.
- Review questions at the end of every chapter test your comprehension of the material.
- Case examples provide real-world scenarios related to the chapter content.
- In The News boxes highlight landmark case law, research developments, emerging health issues, and ethical challenges.
- Thinking It Through questions ask you to critically consider key aspects of health and health care delivery.
- NEW! Coverage of issues and trends includes expanded information on mental health issues, aboriginal health, privatization, use of electronic health records, and interprofessional health care practice.
The Interprofessional Health Care Team: Leadership and Development explores theoretical concepts of leadership in an interdisciplinary health care environment and provides practical examples of these concepts from the perspective of health care scholars, scientists, faculty, and health administration professionals. This comprehensive text introduces multidisciplinary collaboration in three modules: Teamwork and Group Development, Leadership in Interdisciplinary Groups and Building Sustainable, Collaborative Cultures. Each module is divided into units which introduce key concepts and provide active teaching/learning experiences. This valuable resource will help healthcare students and professionals to be prepared for future collaboration with those of other related disciplines in order to develop advanced understanding and competence in health research, academia, evidence-based practice, and health-care policy development and system transformation.
Understanding Health Insurance, 12th Edition, is the essential learning tool your students need when preparing for a career in medical insurance billing. This comprehensive and easy-to-understand text is fully-updated with the latest code sets and guidelines, and covers important topics in the field like managed care, legal and regulatory issues, coding systems, reimbursement methods, medical necessity, and common health insurance plans. The twelfth edition has been updated to include new legislation that affects healthcare, ICD-10-CM coding, implementing the electronic health record, the Medical Integrity Program (MIP), medical review process, and more. The practice exercises in each chapter provide plenty of review, and the workbook (available separately) provides even more application-based assignments and additional case studies for reinforcement. Includes free online SimClaimTM CMS-1500 claims completion software, and free-trial access to Optum’s EncoderPro.com—Expert encoder software.
Important Notice: Media content referenced within the product description or the product text may not be available in the ebook version.
Develop the skills you need to effectively and efficiently document patient care for children and adults in clinical and hospital settings. This handy guide uses sample notes, writing exercises, and EMR activities to make each concept crystal clear, including how to document history and physical exams and write SOAP notes and prescriptions.
Based on extensive experience in the field, this book will introduce readers to the principles and practices of Health Information Management through understanding of Health Information Technology and its application today. Topics covered in the book are based on the core competencies defined by AHIMA as well as HIPAA regulations and JACHO recommendations. To prepare for twenty-first century healthcare occupations, the reader needs to understand the connectivity and applications that make up Health Information Systems of today. The book will provide readers with a thorough understanding of both the terminology of Health Information Technology and the practical use of Information Systems in actual medical facilities. Ample illustrations make it easy to visualize workflow scenarios and technical concepts. Photographs of healthcare providers using various HIT systems and medical devices make it easy to see the practical applicability in a medical office.
The most up-to-date, comprehensive, and authoritative pharmacology text in health medicine
Enhanced by more than three hundred illustrations -- many in full color
Organized to reflect the syllabi in many pharmacology courses and in integrated curricula, Basic & Clinical Pharmacology, 12e covers the important concepts students need to know about the science of pharmacology and its application to clinical practice. Selection of the subject matter and order of its presentation are based on the authors’ many years experience in teaching this material to thousands of medical, pharmacy, dental, podiatry, nursing, and other health science students.
To be as clinically relevant as possible, the book includes sections that specifically address the clinical choice and use of drugs in patients and the monitoring of their effects, and case studies that introduce clinical problems in many chapters. Presented in full color and enhanced by more than three hundred illustrations, Basic & Clinical Pharmacology features numerous summary tables and diagrams that encapsulate important information.
Coverage that spans every aspect of medical pharmacology:
- Basic principles
- Autonomic drugs
- Cardiovascular-renal drugs
- Drugs with important actions on smooth muscles
- Central nervous system drugs
- Drugs used to treat anemias, clotting disorders, hyperlipidemia, and inflammation and gout
- Endocrine drugs
- Chemotherapeutic and immunologic drugs
- Special subjects (perinatal, geriatric, and dermatologic pharmacology)
- Botanical and "food supplements," and over-the-counter medications
Also in this edition:
- Drug Summary Tables conclude most chapters, providing a concise summary of the most important drugs
- General concepts relating to newly discovered receptors, receptor mechanisms, and drug transporters
- Descriptions of important new drugs, including monoclonal antibodies
The most trusted and up-to-date pharmacology text in medicine -- completely redesigned to make the learning process even more interesting and efficient
5 Star Doody's Review!
"This is the most widely used textbook for teaching pharmacology to health professionals. This 11th edition is far superior to any previous editions....The authors' goals are to provide a complete, authoritative, current, and readable textbook of pharmacology for students in health sciences. Testimony to their success is the widespread use of this work as required textbook for pharmacology courses around the world. This book is used extensively by thousands of medical, pharmacy, podiatry, nursing, and other health professions students to study pharmacology. Likewise, it remains a valuable resource for residents and practicing physicians....I continue to use this book as a required resource for all courses that I teach to medical, nursing, and allied health students. It is authoritative, readable, and supported by numerous learning tools."--Doody's Review Service
Organized to reflect the syllabi in Pharmacology courses, Basic & Clinical Pharmacology covers all the important concepts students need to know about the science of pharmacology and its application to clinical practice. It is acknowledged worldwide as the field’s most current, authoritative, and comprehensive textbook. To be as clinically relevant as possible, the book features a strong focus on the choice and use of drugs in patients and the monitoring of their effects.
Coverage that spans every important aspect of medical pharmacology:
- Basic Principles
- Autonomic Drugs
- Cardiovascular-Renal Drugs
- Drugs with Important Actions on Smooth Muscle
- Drugs that Act in the Central Nervous System
- Drugs Used to Treat Diseases of the Blood, Inflammation, and Gout
- Endocrine Drugs
- Chemotherapeutic Drugs
NEW to this edition:
- Full-color presentation, including 300+ illustrations
- Case studies introduce clinical problems in many chapters
- Drug summary tables for key information in comparative context
- Descriptions of important newly released drugs, including new immunopharmacologic agents
- Expanded coverage of general concepts relating to newly discovered receptors, receptor mechanisms, and drug transporters